Wrestlemania.... the biggest show of the year for the WWF. The expectations are always extremely high for this show, since it's always featuring the best of the WWF. Does this year's event follow that same pattern? Why of course.
If you ask me, I'd say the hype for Wrestlemania was just a bit down this year, as compared to others. Last year, the WWF made the 4 Way World title match seem like the best thing since sliced bread. This year, it's been Rock vs. Austin, with both wrestlers acting too much like faces. Sure, it worked in 1990 with Warrior and Hogan, but it didn't quite work for Undertaker vs. Sid, nor did it work for Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels.
But oh well. Today's column will feature 2 items: my predictions and my rankings. Thanks to the demand, I'll, once again, rank the shows from top to bottom. I've re-watched over the last year, so I believe I could re-rank them well.
On to the PDC.
15. Wrestlemania 7: I hate, hate, hate this main event with a passion! Hogan vs. Slaughter was just boring at best, and I didn't fall for the US vs. Iraq angle. Warrior vs. Savage is such an overrated match here, too, as Savage hit the Warrior with 5 elbows and still couldn't make the cover. Then, the Warrior looks at his hand for several minutes, for no reason at all. Yuck!
14. Wrestlemania 12: I dislike the long and boring Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart match, very much. I'm a sucker for long matches, but this one dragged out badly. This show is also funny just to see Triple H job to Warrior in a short time. If you think the Pedigree is a lethal move, then watch this show!
13. Wrestlemania 4: A very long show, with a very good ending. Just too many matches for one to handle. It's a shame Steamboat was jobbed away in this event. :*(
12. Wrestlemania 11: This show had the spark to it, but the matches weren't that good. Well, Lawrence Taylor tried to work hard, as did Bam Bam selling his moves. HBK vs. Diesel is good, despite having a bad ending.
11. Wrestlemania 6: The show before this is OK at best, with a strong main event by Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior. Probably their best matches of their careers.
10. Wrestlemania 2: Yet another oldschool event at its best, although the multiple town thing is sort of odd. It's nice to see a bloody Hogan every once in a while, too.
9. Wrestlemania 13: For what the WWF had at this time, they put on a good overall show. The Austin vs. Bret Hart match is just classic, nuff said.
8. Wrestlemania 1: The first show of them all. This is oldschool at its best, with a classic chaotic main event between Mr. T/Hogan vs. Orndorf/Piper.
7. Wrestlemania 16: Too many tag matches and multiple matches for this card, but the 3 Way between the Dudleys, Hardys, and Edge/Christian is just insane. Benoit vs. Angle vs. Jericho is great too. Main event was a dud though.
6. Wrestlemania 15: A good, all around card that featured a great Triple H heel turn, and a solid main event from Rock and Austin.
5. Wrestlemania 5: I can remember being in 3rd grade for when this show occurred, and everyone in school was asking who won the Savage vs. Hogan match. All around great card here, which proves why it's the highest buyrate in history, still.
4. Wrestlemania 8: This talent roster was so stacked back then, I swear. Flair vs. Savage is good, as is Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper. I just like watching the best stars of the time on one card, despite the terrible main event with Hogan vs. Sid.
3. Wrestlemania 3: Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant was the spotlight, in which Steamboat vs. Savage stole it. It's amazing to watch this card, with such an incredible crowd. This was the beginning of the early WWF legacy, that lasted until Wrestlemania 6.
2. Wrestlemania 14: This show moves up a notch for sentimental reasons. Wrestlemania 14 was a great show all around, but it showed that the times were changing in the WWF. It presented a hip and young looking product, as compared to WCW, still relying on Hogan for a draw. It's amazing to see Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels put on a good match, too, despite both being heavily injured that night.
1. Wrestlemania 10: The ladder match and the Hart vs. Hart match... where could you go wrong? No where, as the WWF proved that they could survive without Hulk Hogan.
Dean Malenko/Perry Saturn vs. Grandmaster Sex-ay/Steve Blackman
Thank you WWF for adding a match that I don't really care about. Hey, this could be a great bathroom break match! Perry Saturn is the least over in this group of crazies, plus, I believe the WWF wants to prove to Jerry Lawler that they'll still work with his kid. Oh, speaking of Perry Saturn, that wonderful WALRUS....
I forgot to comment on the stupid hat he wore on Heat last Sunday. My Gosh, there is NOTHING Perry Saturn can do to get noticed in the WWF. I think it would be wise to ship him down to WCW.
Tito's Pick: Shane's Friend and Jerry's Kid
Tazz/APA vs. Right To Censor
The RTC has a strong factor going for them here, and that's for the fact that the Tazz/APA team has Jackie. I see Steven Richards acting like a bastard, and destroying her for the win.
Tito's Pick: Right to Censor
GIMMICK BATTLE ROYAL
This might be the funniest match EVER on wrestling. I'd feel like shit, if I were a wrestler, if I was participating in this match. My money is on the only World Champion out of these gimmicks, which is Sgt. Slaughter. I don't get why he and Michael "PS" Hayes is in this match, anyway?
Tito's Pick: Sgt. Slaughter
European Title: Test vs. Eddie Guerrero
I can't believe the European title is being defended on this card. Real logic goes to giving Eddie the title, since the fans absolutely hate his guts. However, I believe the WWF likes Test defending that title on Mtv Heat, so that could be reasoning enough for him to retain. Ross keeps speaking highly of Test, lately, too, so we'll go on that.
Tito's Pick: Test
Women's Championship: Ivory vs. Chyna
If Chyna does another injury angle, you'll see more FINGERS of SHAME than the night Vince Russo crowned himself WCW World Champion. My theory continues to be that if you have Chyna as the Lady's champ, then the division will explode. Who wants to see Lita take a whack at Chyna? I sure as hell do.
Tito's Pick: Chyna
Hardcore Title: Raven vs. Big Show vs. Kane
Yuck, this is going to be the worst match on the card. A couple of readers are predicting that Pete Rose will run in and win the Hardcore title. It wouldn't surprise me. I see Raven just running away from this match, or somehow getting the win. Maybe a Pete Rose screwjob? I see Kane returning to the upper card to job to Triple H and company, again, after this match.
Tito's Pick: Raven
Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle
Given time, this match will be insane! This is the match of the depushed wrestlers after feuding with Rock/Stone Cold, so I guess the winner is the better underappreciated wrestler in the WWF? Could be. Since Angle just held the World Title, he'll win this match.
Tito's Pick: Kurt Angle
Intercontinental Title: William Regal vs. Chris Jericho
What is Regal's current injury status? I'm not sure if he's fully recovered from his neck injury to completely have confidence in giving him a title. Who knows? I have a feeling that Jericho will retain the title, but I could be wrong. A Benoit-Regal feud could be fitting after Wrestlemania, but I don't know. We'll keep with Y2J.
Tito's Pick: Chris Jericho
World Tag Titles - Tables, Ladders, and Chairs (OH MY!!): Dudleys vs. Hardys vs. Edge/Christian
Don't be surprised if some former ECW wrestlers run in to join the match. This will easily be the match of the night, which makes me wonder when the WWF will ever recognize these teams other than just stacking a card. If Edge/Christian win this one, I'll be shocked. I see the Dudleys retaining it for some reason. If not, I'd go with the Hardys to hint another split up again.
Tito's Pick: The Dudley Boyz
Shane McMahon vs. Vince McMahon
They say Linda McMahon will be by the ringside... I have a feeling that her trance will end for this match, and she'll help her boy win this match. Plus, a big win here can boost some good hype for WCW and a good feud after Wrestlemania concerning WCW. I hope that we see some WCW wrestlers in this match, as heavily rumored.
Tito's Pick: Shane McMahon
Triple H vs. Undertaker
Hype for this match has been extremely poor lately. Triple H will carry the Undertaker to a decent match, and winning because his Pay Per View record is that damn good.
Tito's Pick: Triple H
WWF World Title: Rock vs. Steve Austin
Throughout the internet, I keep seeing predictions of Austin winning this match. Why??? I'll give you reasons why Austin might not win this match:
1) Austin beat the Rock at Wrestlemania 15, if you remember. Why would Vince McMahon job the Rock to Austin for 2 straight Wrestlemanias against each other? That doesn't make much sense to me.
2) The "time off for movie" hype seems to be around the Rock again. Just keep in mind that he took time off to film "The Mummy Returns" last year after Wrestlemania, and he still was a part of Backlash, the next Pay Per View.
3) Speaking of Backlash, the WWF might shoot for a rematch between the Rock and Austin due to some kind of controversy that might happen in the Wrestlemania match. They've done rematches from the past 2 years at Backlash (2000, excluding Bigshow and Foley), so the pattern could keep going.
Those are pretty valid reasons to which the Rock might retain, and I'll roll the dice and smell what he's cooking. Of course, the fact that Austin might job in 2 pay per views in a row could be what everyone's basing their decision on. Hmmm... I'll still go with the Rock, just because everyone else is picking Austin.
Tito's Pick: The Rock
NEWS ORGY: Bill Clinton, Britney Spears, Tie Domi, Darryl Strawberry, and George W. Bush.... all in one great big Orgy!!! SoClick Here to join the it!
Make sure you check out the latest CLICK HERE to listen to the latest show, which is a BIG Wrestlemania Hype show!!!! Keep in mind that the Audio Show is giving away a Wrestlemania care package, which you could win by listening to the show and answering Wrestlemania Trivia. Click Here if you want to see the questions to possibly win the contest! Also Note that former WCW and ECW star, Scotty Anton, will be a guest on the show on April 8th.
LoP T-Shirts: NEW STUFF IN STOCK! Mouse Pads, Sweat Shirts, Coffee Mugs, more T-Shirts, Baby Doll shirts, and more! Also, you can now order via Credit Card!
Backyard BBQ: The Best in Backyard Wrestling!
@That's all for today. I'll be back tomorrow with a Wrestlemania review, and whatever else. Oh shoot, no more Monday Nitro to hype. Argh! Just chill till the next episode.
Check Out the Newly Designed LoP Front Page!!!
Take Care, and Thanks for Reading.
Chicago Enforcers: 23
NY/NJ Hitmen: 18
I caught the very end of the Chicago game, and it was the usual XFL that I saw before. It seems that a lot of XFL games on NBC seem to go to the wire for some odd reason. Hmmm...
San Francisco Demons vs. Las Vegas Outlaws at 7:00 on TNN